Frequently Asked Questions

Recently acquire a new cell phone? …. And let your child play with the old one?

If you recently purchased or activated a new or replacement cell phone you need to be aware that your old phone, even though it has been de-activated, may still be capable of dialing 9-1-1.

Many cell phone companies will still allow even a de-activated cell phone to make 9-1-1 calls for emergency situations. Unfortunately, when you give your child a phone to play with, they do make calls to emergency centers, tying up operators who may have a real emergency in progress.

We do not wish to deny your child a play toy, but please either remove the battery or make sure it is discharged prior to giving it to them.

“There was a notice from the Sheriff’s Department on my door when I returned home. How can I find out what it concerns? ”

“It is a courtesy notice to inform you that there is a personal matter that the Sheriff’s Office needs to discuss with you. We are not allowed to discuss the matter over the phone due to the Privacy Act.”

“How can I find out if there is a warrant for my arrest?”

“You can come to the Sheriff’s Department located at 208 Court St. beside First State Bank.”

“How can I get the Sheriff’s Office to help me recover my property?”

“A court order is required for us to legally assist you in the recovery of your property. Unless it is stolen.”

“Does the Sheriff’s Office issue public identification cards?”

“The Sheriff’s Office does not issue ID Cards. ID Cards can be obtained through the Drivers License Bureau.”